The Job Responsibilities
This position is responsible to build and install gas valve control systems, install piping, and fittings for propane-fueled Draeger Fire Training Systems during the manufacture and installation of complete projects. Manufacturing and installation work can be required at Draeger’s facility in Kingston ON (Canada), fabrication shops, or at customer sites, primarily in North America.
1) Build and install gas valve control systems, piping and fittings
- In accordance with the designs provided by Draeger’s project engineering
- In accordance with relevant codes and standards, including e.g. but not limited to CSA B149, NFPA 86 and TSSA regulations (in Ontario)
2) Testing and commissioning
- Inspect the systems according to Draeger’s internal Acceptance Test Protocol (ATP)
3) Other General Functions
- Work in a multi-disciplinary team which has responsibility for the manufacture and installation of complete projects,
- Work with 3rd party authorities on field inspection and approvals,
- May be required to provide Operator and Maintenance Training according to Draeger’s procedures,
- Ensure documentation of testing, training, handover etc. according to Draeger’s requirements,
- Provide customer service including troubleshooting.
- Ensures manufacturing area is maintained clean and sorted.
- Adheres to appropriate safety requirements in all aspects of work
- Valid certification as Gas Technician G2 per the Canadian certification requirements of CSA/TSSA.
- Two (2) or more years experience in a installing gas piping and control systems, preferable involving installations in industrial environment.
Special Competencies or Certifications:
- Must possess exceptional organization skills. Excellent verbal and written communications capabilities required. Thorough understanding and demonstrated working knowledge of the laws and regulations related to the scope of work. Ability to deal professionally and courteously with internal and external contacts. Must be able to perform routine arithmetic calculations.
- Proven experience working with confidential and sensitive information, ability to work on multiple priorities in a fast paced environment, strong attention to detail is required on a daily basis. Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite (e.g., Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Knowledge to apply controls, piping, and fittings for systems utilizing more than xxx,000 BTU
- Knowledge of relevant codes, standards and guidelines (e.g. CSA, TSSA, NFPA)
- Knowledge of control valve operation
- Knowledge of equipment to select for field installations,
- Ability to read technical drawings (e.g. AutoCad, SolidWorks) to mount gas detection equipment, piping and fittings according to design
- Ability to install gas piping from source to valve box to simulator
- Ability to properly test gas equipment and piping
- Skills in troubleshooting to resolve field issues
- Skills in organizing workload and time to work on simultaneous projects
- Must possess good eye-hand coordination with experience on a wide-range of hand and power tools
Relationship with Others:
- Recognizes internal customers (treats other employees as customers)
- Maintains co-operative working relationships with customers, community, as well as the entire staff of Draeger
- Demonstrates the ability to tactfully handle difficult situations.
Judgment and Decision-making
- Demonstrates good judgement in investigating and solving problems and in respecting the confidentiality of company, and personnel information
- Seeks guidance and direction as necessary in the performance of duties
- Takes all opinions and suggestions under advisement before making decisions of major proportion, while assuming full weight of the decisions themselves
- Consistently shows the ability to recognize and deal with priorities
- Regularly meets deadlines for time-sensitive activities
- Always provides adequate notification in advance of absence
- Completes all obligations, doing what has been promised
Work Environment / Conditions:
- Must have ability to perform physical work and to lift 50 pounds as part of day-to-day work.
- The position is based at Draeger Safety Canada Ltd., Kingston ON, Canada and will involve national and international travel (estimated 50%) primarily within North America.
The Dräger Workplace
In North America, Draeger employs over 1,600 employees working in our major sites in the United States and Canada (in the US: Andover, MA; Telford, PA; Houston / Coppell, TX, and in Canada: Mississauga, ON), including our Sales and Service workforce employees from coast to coast.
Our field based Sales and Service workforce, located across Canada, is focused on building and strengthening long term relationships with our customers in the delivery of Draeger’s exceptional portfolio of Medical and Safety products and solutions.
Draeger is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a diverse workforce. All candidates are encouraged to apply regardless of race, ancestry, colour, ethnic origin or place of origin, citizenship, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, record of offences (for which a pardon has been granted), disability, marital or family status, or any other prohibited ground under applicable provincial human rights legislation.
Who we are
Dräger is a leading international company in the fields of medical and safety technology. Whether in clinical applications, in industry, mining or emergency services: Dräger products protect, support and save lives. That's what our more than 16,000 employees have been striving for - every day for almost 130 years.
What we offer
Additional/Voluntary Insurance; Education & Training; Health center and gym; Health Insurance; Retirement Savings; Special Assistance; Time Away; Workplace Wellness